Who we are
The Canadian Boat to Gaza, a project of Canadian civil society activists, aims to publicize, challenge, and one day help bring an end to the Israeli blockade of Gaza.
The following people are members of the project Working Group. Others, too numerous to list, are playing important roles in different areas of the project.
- Farid Ayad, Toronto, Palestine House
A doctor and activist. He is the president and board member of Palestine House cultural centre.
- Ruth Breen, Fredericton, CUPW
- Farooq Burney, Toronto/Qatar (Mavi Marmara Survivor)
- Kim Elliot, Ottawa, rabble.ca
A writer, researcher, activist, and publisher of rabble.ca. She has been active in numerous social justice, human rights, anti-poverty and anti-racism initiatives as an organizer and facilitator. She is also a founding member of CEPAL – the Canadian-Palestinian Educational Exchange.
- Basem Emara, Toronto, Gaza Freedom March
A participant in the Gaza Freedom March in December 2009 and continues to remain active on the working committee. He is a developer and consultant for dozens of Internet projects for educational, advocacy, and non-profit organizations. Leverages the power of the web to help steer and coordinate local, national, and international efforts.
- Wendy Goldsmith, London
A social worker, writer, dedicated peace activist, and mother of three. She is an active member of People for Peace, London, and is committed to working for peace through community and coalition building, the promotion of diversity and dialogue.
- Elias Hazineh, Toronto
- David Heap, London, Gaza Freedom March & People for Peace
A parent of two, a UWO faculty member (French & linguistics), and a peace and social justice activist. He participated in the Gaza Freedom March in December 2009 and hopes to help foster people-to-people links which build solidarity with Palestine.
- Christine Jones, Ottawa
Christine Jones is the Co-Chair of the Canadian Peace Alliance, and Chair of ACT for the Earth. Her day job has her working to protect threatened human rights defenders. She was a founding member of the Toronto Coalition to Stop the War, the Ottawa Peace Assembly and Independent Jewish Voices. Eclectic, indignant, a bit shy, quirky and petulant. Redirecting rage to movement building.
- Mohamed S. Kamel, Montréal
A professional engineer, a LEED Green Associate and a recognized project manager professional. He is a freelance writer, the editor of I.N. Daily, co-founder of the Canadian Egyptian for Democracy, Alternative Perspective Media, Quebec Antiwar movement “Échec à la Guerre”, Coalition for Justice and Peace in Palestine and the ex-president and co-founder of the Canadian Muslim Forum.
- Derrick O'Keefe, Vancouver
A Vancouver activist and writer, and co-chair of the Vancouver StopWar Coalition and the Canadian Peace Alliance.
- Denis Kosseim, Montréal, Coalition for Justice and Peace in Palestine
A teacher, unionist, activist, husband and father of two. He teaches philosophy at André-Laurendeau Collège. He is on the International Action Committee of the FNEEQ-CSN (Fédération des enseignantes et des enseinants du Québec) and on the executive committee of SECAL (Syndicat de l'enseignement du Collège André-Laurendeau). He is also on the coordination committee of the Coalition for Justice and Peace in Palestine.
- Ehab Lotayef, Montréal, Canadian Arab Federation
Montréal-based engineer, writer and activist. He's served on the coordination committee of the Coalition for Justice and Peace in Palestine, the board of the Canadian Arab Federation and Parole Arabe, among other groups. Since the Israeli invasion of Gaza in Dec. 2008 / Jan. 2009 he has visited Gaza twice (once accompanying a Canadian delegation of parliamentarians) and was a key organizer of the Gaza Freedom March in December 2009.
- Toni MacAfee, Halifax, CUPW
Education and Organization Officer for Atlantic Region of Canadian Union of Postal Workers and a participant in the Gaza Freedom March in December 2009.
- Irene MacInnes is a peace activist based in Vancouver. She was a founder of the movement in Canada against sanctions on Iraq in the 1990s, and of the Canada-Cuba friendshipments which challenged the U.S. blockade. In 2003, she was awarded the City of Vancouver Peace Citizen of the Year. She is a co-founder and former co-chair of Vancouver's StopWar.ca Coalition and a former co-chair of the World Peace Forum held in 2006.
- Ali Mallah, Toronto, VP Ontario, Canadian Arab Federation
Current Ontario VP of the Canadian Arab Federation, Alternate VP of Workers of Colour for the Canadian Labour Congress and board member of the Centre for Social Justice and Alternatives International. National Steering Committee member of Canadian Peace Alliance and Coordinating committee for Anti-War Coalition. Co-founder of Toronto Coalition Against the War, Trade Unionists Against the War, Muslim Unity Group and the Coalition Against Israeli Apartheid.
- Manon Massé, Québec solidaire party
For 30 years an activist for social justice (housing, poverty, homophobia, women's and minority rights, peace), she is co-founder of the World March of Women. Since 2006, she has been a member of the Québec solidaire political party and has stood for election three times.
- Mahmoud Hmouz is a Palestinian refugee living in Vancouver. He is a Chemical Engineer and Biochemist, currently teaching math and sciences at an education centre. He is a former Palestine solidarity activist at the University of Ottawa and is a current member of the Canada Palestine Association of Vancouver.
- Kevin Neish, Coalition Against Israeli Apartheid – Victoria (Mavi Marmara Survivor)
- Dylan Penner, Ottawa
Steering Committee member of Independent Jewish Voices Canada, as well as an organizer with the Ottawa Palestine Solidarity Network, the Ottawa Peace Assembly, and ACT for the Earth.
- Marion Pollak, Ottawa, CUPW
- Sandra Ruch, Toronto, Gaza Freedom March
The Administrative Coordinator for Canadian Voice of Women for Peace. She is a member of Gaza Freedom March, Independent Jewish Voices and CodePink.
- Sid Shniad, Vancouver, Independent Jewish Voices
A member of the Executive Committee of Independent Jewish Voices Canada
- Jase Tanner, Vancouver
Independent film maker, activist. He visited Gaza in 2009, accompanying a Canadian delegation of Parliamentarians and was a participant in the Gaza Freedom March in December 2009.
- Ismail Zayid, Halifax, Canada Palestine Association
A doctor, activist, author and educator. He is a founding member of Canadians, Arabs and Jews for a Just Peace, was recently a member of the Executive Committee of Canadian Arab Federation and board member of The National Council on Canada Arab Relations. Born and brought up in Beit Nuba, Palestine, a village systematically dynamited and bulldozed by the Israeli army, on the direct orders of Yitzhak Rabin, Chief of Staff of the Israeli army at the time. Today at the site of these villages stands the infamy that is called "Canada Park", built by the Jewish National Fund [JNF], with Canadian tax-deductible dollars. This is a war crime, built with the complicity of our Canadian government.
- Scott Weinstein, Montréal, Independent Jewish Voices
A member of the Executive Committee of Independent Jewish Voices Canada